Eli called in with a problem in which he cannot make deleted messages disappear from his Apple Mail program. We found a post on the web about this. Hope it helps...
Outlook Express Spell Checks in French
If you install Office 2007, spell checking in Outlook Express will not work as expected, unless you want spell check in French. :) This is because Office 2007 uses new proofing tools and OE can't use them because it's designed to use the older tools.
There are four fixes for this problem.
- Reclaim Your Inbox! Use Thunderbird email. It is free, easy to install, simple to use, and it has an automated wizard to import all of your mail, address books and settings from outlook express. (It's also more secure than Outlook Express.)
- If you are married to Outlook Express, one of the next three options might be for you...
- Install the English Proofing Tools from your Office 2003 CD (this is likely to cause problems with Office 2007--so you have been warned)
- Install a third party spell checker for Outlook Express. This seems arcane, as OE should be able to provide this tool on its own. Here's Microsoft's suggested fix...
- If your Office 2007 includes Outlook 2007, install it and migrate your mail to it. See this article for instructions.
Windows Updates Won't Stick
Several folks have called with this problem lately. Windows is set to download updates and install on shutdown. It appears to be doing it, but next time the computer is started, the updates are there again.
The most likely problem is that the windows update system is messed up (dope slap, that's obvious!!!). Here's a couple of links that describe this process happening because a windows repair process: